Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours 45 minutes
It’s National Chili Day and the weather is right for sharing a warm bowl of beefy goodness! This Tri-Tip recipe will quickly become a favorite.
- 2 (2-2.5 lb) tri-tip roast
- Cattleman’s Grill Steakhouse Seasoning
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups canned San Marzano Tomatoes (and sauce)
- 2 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1-quart beef stock
- 2 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Steakhouse Seasoning
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill to 225ºF, set up for smoking.
- Trim excess fat and silver skin from the outside of the tri-tip roasts. Rub the roasts with a thin layer of binder (oil, mustard, hot sauce, etc.). Season all surfaces with Cattleman’s Grill Steakhouse Seasoning.
- Smoke the tri-tips on the second shelf for 60-90 minutes until the internal temperature of 115ºF-120ºF.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Dice into bite-sized pieces.
- Remove the second shelf from the cooker and turn the temperature up to 400ºF. Also, place a Lodge 7-Quart Dutch Oven in the cooker to preheat.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in the dutch oven. Add the onions and poblanos.
- Cook until onions are translucent and softened. Add the garlic and tomatoes.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the beans, beef stock, and seasonings.
- Cover with the lid and cook until the chili is thickened and tri-tip is falling apart, 2.5 – 3 hours.
Serving Size1/4 pound
Amount Per Serving Calories 593Total Fat 11gSodium 283mgCarbohydrates 70gProtein 55g