Reverse Seared Strip Loin Roast with Poblano Creme Fraiche
Add a fantastic Poblano Creme Fraiche to serve with it.
Chef Tom of All Things Barbecue
Strip Loin Roast is a favorite of many barbecue enthusiats. Typically this roast is cut into New York Strip (or Kansas City Strip) steaks, but reverse searing it whole is where it’s at.
In this video, you’ll see how to trim, season and cook a strip loin roast to perfection, and add a fantastic Poblano Creme Fraiche to serve with it.
Reverse Seared Strip Loin Roast with Poblano Creme Fraiche Recipe
- 1 whole strip loin
- R Butts R Smokin’ R Beef Rub
Poblano Creme Fraiche:
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp cultured buttermilk
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
To Make the Poblano Creme Fraiche
- Combine the heavy cream and buttermilk in a plastic bottle or mason jar. Shake well for 10 seconds. Let sit at room temperature overnight. The next day the mixture will be thickened.
- Place the poblano on the grill over direct high heat. Blacken on all sides. Place in a zip-top bag and allow to steam for 15 minutes. Remove from the bag. Remove the seeds and stem. Peel the skin off. Mince the remaining flesh.
- Place the creme fraiche in a bowl. Add the minced poblano, garlic and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
To Make the Strip Loin Roast
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill to 250ºF set up for indirect grilling, with GrillGrates. Rub the surface of the loin with a thin layer of vegetable or olive oil. Season with R Butts R Smokin’ R Beef Rub. Allow the rub to attach by resting the meat for 5-10 minutes (the rub will begin to look wet as it pulls moisture out of the meat).
- Smoke the loin roast on the second shelf until the internal temperature reaches 105ºF. Remove the loin from the cooker and cover loosely with foil. Turn the cooker up to 450ºF.P Using heat-resistant leather BBQ gloves, move the GrillGrates aside. Remove the door from your two-piece diffuser (or the entire diffuser), and return the GrillGrates to their place over the fire box.
- After about 5 minutes, the grill will have come up to temp. Place the loin roast on the GrillGrates. Grill on both sides to achieve nice grill marks, cooking until internal temperature reaches 125ºF (check the internal temperature with an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast). Pull, rest for 10 minutes, and slice to serve.
- Serve with the Poblano Creme Fraiche.