Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Sterling Davis / @slothstrodamus / YS640
I’ve been on a kick lately… making dishes that are outside of your normal “smoked dishes.” Such as a smoked dessert. There are two pieces to this recipe that can be prepared using a smoker, the baking of the crust and the final baking/setting of the tart itself. You can make this dish in a traditional pie pan, or using muffin tins like I did to create a personal-sized tart.
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted melted butter
- 2 tablespoons of white sugar
- Pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 6 egg yolks
- 2-14oz cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 4oz of freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of key lime zest
- 16oz of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
For the crust
- Smash the graham crackers until all large pieces are absorbed into the powder. I used a meat mallet and a plastic bag.
- Next, add the melted butter, white sugar, and pinch (1/2 teaspoon) of salt into a food processor and mix until the consistency is smooth.
- Add mixture to muffin tins. I used a ramekin slightly smaller than the muffin tin to pack the crust tight. Also, if you have silicon muffin tins, I highly recommend using those to minimize the crust and filling sticking.
- Set the smoker to 325 degrees
- When the smoker is to temperature, bake the crust for 10-11 minutes until it is set.
- Remove and set aside to cool
For the filling
- Set the smoker to 350 degrees
- Using a stand mixer (kitchen aid/bosch) whisk the egg yolks until the consistency is light and visibly fluffy.
- Add sweetened condensed milk, heavy whipping cream, lime juice, lime zest, white sugar, and vanilla until well-mixed.
- When the mixture is smooth, pour into the individual muffin tins (~12-15).
- Place muffin tins in the pre-heated smoker (350 degrees) and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the mixture is set.
- After baking, remove the mixture from the smoker and place it in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Voila! Enjoy!
Serving Size 1 Tart
Amount Per ServingCalories 766Total Fat 49gSodium 336mgCarbohydrates 75gProtein 11g