Pork Belly Burnt Ends
By Drew Richards / @badic / YS1500s
I’ve been cooking pork belly burnt ends since the first time they were a “thing.” I’ve tried every method posted on the internet, and while they were good, I always felt like there were just a little off from perfect. It took smoking about 1,000 lbs of pork belly over the years to finally figure out the best method and my personal favorite combination of sauces and rubs for burnt ends. Here’s my recipe for Pork Belly Burnt Ends:
– Cut pork belly into 1.75″ – 2″ cubes (this was way better than every time I cut them smaller. They stand up better and hold their shape better. If you’ve ever tried this I’m sure you’ve had them fall all over the place during the cook.)
– Heat the YS1500s to 250°
– Season w/ Killer Hogs Hot BBQ Rub and TN MOJO BBQ Rub and place on a well-sprayed metal rack. I season them in a huge bowl 6-8 at a time then place on the rack and season more. Let them sit for 30-45 minutes before they hit the smoker.
– Smoke for 2.5 hrs, spritz at 1 hr and 2 hour mark with a mixture of water and Apple Cider Vinegar.
– Remove from smoker, pan them, add unsalted butter, honey, brown sugar and Meat Church Holy Voodoo. Cover with foil and smoke for 1.5 hrs. They should be around 202°-205° and are now ready to glaze. Remove them and drain the juices. (draining those juices has been a huge step I’ve been missing all this time).
– Warm glaze as you get close to the 2.25 hr mark.
– Glaze – 90% Blues Hog champions blend, 9% Burntout BBQ grill candy, 1% Blues Hog Raspberry Chipotle BBQ sauce, 5 dash of Killer Hogs Hot sauce.
– Toss in glaze and return to smoker for 20-30 minutes or until sauce is tacky.